Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It's officially Fall. And we need a Chipmunk Relocation Program.

I took this yesterday, in the evening. These leaves literally turned during the day... I wonder what it would have been like to lie there and watch them?

It's rained since then, and temperatures are dropping. It's time for our resident chipmunk to take stock of his stores and think about hunkering down in his nest, which I am suspecting he has built inside our walls.


Did I say chipmunk? More like chipmunks. John thinks there are five or six ... the only question is, how many have taken up residence in our house? Finding the dryer vent flap on the outside of our house stuck open was a big clue. So was Sean-Peter pointing at a chipmunk scampering off and hollering, "He came out of that hole!"


This might help explain why our dryer isn't working...


Any tips on how to safely evict the little critters? (short of knocking a hole out in our wall?) Preferably without killing them. But if someone's gotta go, you know. Whatever.

6 comments:

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom said...

I just googled "Chipmunk Poison"...very interesting! I hope you guys find something that will work!
Thanks for having us over this morning! It was fun...and I had NO allergic reaction at all! Yeah! Stop feeling guilty! See you soon!

Jerilyn said...

You know your Uncle John VC trapped the squirrels in their yard and carried them to a park - preferably one far away or they came back. Our neighbor did the same - we hear he bagged 70 squirrels last summer. But those were in the yard, not in the house.

I think I'd call your county or city animal control people. If that doesn't work call an exterminator. But check out the toxins they want to use. However, chipmunks are rodents, thus disease carriers, so you DO want to get rid of them.

Kudos to Sean-Peter for his good detective work!

Em said...

Awww, chipmunks are sooo cute! Maybe not when they are taking up residence in your house, but still. They are cute-don't be too hard on them :) Alex has a mouse taking residence somewhere in his house. He's cute too, but I'd be ok with finding him in a trap....

Anonymous said...

I've elected to go for the relocation program. We bagged one chipmunk in the garage and moved him to a local park with a creek so there's more cover and better access to water. Call that one an upgrade. Then we got a suprise - a juvenile possum! Man, he stunk. But I found him a nice tree in a park on the way to work. It's like a Disney cartoon in our yard! I wonder what we'll get next?

Keri said...

lol! Sorry to laugh, but I cant imagine my kids trailing chipmunks around our house! Too much!

Good luck getting rid of them.

Those leaves are beautiful :)

Betsy said...

Good luck with that. We had a mice infestation after going away for just one week to Maine. Thanks for stopping over to Momformation and leaving your 10 cents.